Reviewing/Grading Chat Room Participation
- Once a chat room has been created you can enter it from the Communication by entering Chat and choosing the chat room you wish to review. Clicking on the chat room will automatically enter into the chat.
- When you are ready to begin reviewing and grading the chat room entries, click the green Grade button which will take you to the Detailed Grader.
- The Detailed Grader will display chat entries one user at a time. All chat entries will be displayed here and the current user you are reviewing will be highlighted in blue.
- On the top right of the screen you will see the name of the user whose submission is currently visible. This is also where you will provide the grade for the chat room:
- Use the left and right arrows to scroll through users in the course. Once a user is selected their Chat entries will be highlighted in blue for easier grading.
- Click the downward arrow to see a drop down list of users in the course.
Users that have participated in the chat will be highlighted in dark gray, users who have not participated will be highlighted in light gray, and users whose chat room participation has already been graded will be highlighted in green.
- Below the user’s name is where you will type in the grade for the chat. The total points are displayed and you can click the blank space to type in the grade. If the Grading Scale is set to “Scale Grade” for the chat then there will be a drop down menu that can be used to choose the grade instead. Once you have entered the grade click the green Grade Assignment button.
For those chats utilizing a “Points Grade” Grading method, you can hover over the question mark icon to review a list of possible alternative grades for the chat.
- You can leave Student Grade Feedback about their chat participation by clicking the thought bubble icon and typing into the “Add a comment for student...” text box. Once you have added your comment click the green Save Grade Comment button. The comment will be visible to the student once the grades have been released.
- Click the pencil icon to add a note for yourself about their participation. The student will not be able to view this private note. Click the green Save My Private Note to save your note.
- Grades entered through the Detailed Grader will be automatically populated in the Gradebook. To edit Gradebook settings from the Detailed Grader click the small Gradebook Settings icon .
- Next to the settings icon is the Assignment Statistics icon:
- The overall average score is shown in the yellow circle.
- The highest percentage grade is shown in the green circle.
- The lowest percentage grade is shown in the red circle.
- The grade median and standard deviation, total number of students and number of students not graded, and the score distribution can also be found on this page.
- Click the green Close Reports & Return to Grading button to return to the Detailed Grader.
- When you have finished grading the chat participation and you are ready to release the grades to students you can click the green Release Grades button at the top of the screen. Grades can also be released from the Gradebook.
- Click the blue Back to Chat button to return to the chat room.