The Control Panel's Custom Roles tab provides Site Administrators with the flexibility to assign specific permissions to users by creating additional roles.
Additionally, Custom Roles can be created based on one of the four template roles or entirely of selected permissions.
Adding a Custom Role
To begin adding custom roles, click the green circle button :
- Define the “Role Name” and give it an optional “Role Description”.
- Use the “Is Default?” drop down menu to make this new role the default role. If a custom role is made the default then any time new users are added they will automatically be added to this role unless another is selected.
- Once custom roles have been created they will be listed under the Custom Roles tab where the Role Name, Description, Default status, and Total Users listed in the role can be viewed. Roles can also be edited from this screen:
- Edit – click to edit the Role’s name, description, and default status.
- Edit Permissions – click to set the permissions for the role.
- Set as Default – click to make a custom role the default role.
- Clear as Default – click to clear the default status and set the Student (Users) role back to default.
- Delete – this deletes the role altogether. To delete a custom role all users must be removed.
Editing Custom Role Permissions
- When a new role is created all Permissions will automatically be cleared so permissions must be edited in order to define what the users in the role will be able to do within the course.
- Begin by clicking the Edit Permissions icon.
- Use the drop down menu to select the template of an already existing Role’s permissions settings or manually choose which permissions should be applied to the new Role by checking the boxes next to the settings.
- Click the Save button once all preferred permissions have been selected.