After creating a Content Object, you have the option to make its release dependent. Dependent Release allows the Site Administrator to control the availability of a Content Object based on the completion of another Content Object.
- To access the Dependent Release tab, navigate to the tool/content object you would like to edit.
- Click the Edit icon on the top right of the Main Content Area.
- Click the Dependent Release tab.
- Select the desired dependent Tool and any following settings based on the Tool selection.
- Click Update.
If you have assigned a Content Object to be released at a future date through Availability Settings, applied an Access Control that does not include you, or assigned a Dependent Release, the Content Object will be grayed out in the Administrator's view. The content will not be available until all criteria are met. View the Permissions Summary to see a report of all permissions applied to a content object.
Dependent Release can be used on Tools that necessitate a submission from the student, including Assignments, Exams, Discussion, Gradebook, Journal and Surveys. It can also be used based on content views within Course Content.
- Assignments - Used to release an object based on the submission of a specific Assignment.
- Chat - Used to release an object based on the number of times a user has posted to a specific Chat session.
- Checklist - Used to release an object once the user has completed all requirements of the Checklist.
- Discussion - Used to release an object based on the number of times a user has posted to a specific Discussion.
- Form - Used to release an object based on the submission of a specific Form.
- Gradebook - Used to release an object based on the number of points a user has earned on a specific Gradebook assignment.
- Journal - Used to release an object based on the submission of a specific Journal.
- Survey - Used to release an object based on the submission of a specific Survey.
- View Specified Content - Used to release an object once the user has clicked to view a specified piece of content.
- View Specified # of content in Folder - If you are utilizing folders within Course Content then you can release an object based on a specific number or content views within the folder. For example, if a folder contains five pieces of content, you can release an object once the user has clicked and viewed at least three of them.