Taking an Exam
Your professor may have set up the Exam using the SOLE LockDown browser. This browser will need to be downloaded prior to the Exam. Click here to learn more about the SOLE LockDown browser.
- To access your exam enter the appropriate course and click Assessment and then Exams from the left navigation. The exam may also be posted within course Content.
- A list of available exams will be listed. Click on the exam you would like to take.
- If there is a Time Limit, Due Date, Expiration Date, or a Required Password set on the exam this information will be displayed in red at the top of this page.
- Click the Launch Button when you are ready to begin your exam. After you click this button you will see a screen with two options: Watch a Tutorial or Launch Your Exam.
- You can watch the tutorial on how to take the exam. It will give you detailed information about using the Exams tool. This can be helpful if it is your first time taking an exam in SOLE. After watching the tutorial click the green Launch Exam button at the top right of your screen.
- If you do not want to take the tutorial you can start by clicking Launch Exam when you are ready to begin the exam.
- Once the exam has launched, you can answer questions.
- Multiple Choice and True/False questions will allow you to choose one correct answer by clicking the radial button next to the correct answer.
- Matching questions will use drop down menus to help you match the correct answer.
- Essay and Fill in the Blank questions will prompt you to enter your own text.
- Multiple Select questions allow you to choose one or more correct answers by clicking the radial buttons next to the correct answer choices.
- Ordering (beta) questions allow you to drag and drop defined answers into their correct order.
- Hotspot (beta) questions present you with an image and then requires you to click a particular area in order to choose your answer.
- Make notes and flag questions (see previous section) as necessary. Again, make sure to click the green Save button after answering each question. The button will turn gray once the question is saved and the legend icon for that question will turn green.
- After you have completed a question, click the green arrow icon to move on to the next question.
- Once you have completed all questions review the legend on the right side of the screen to make sure that all questions have been saved and are now marked green.
- Also, review any questions you may have flagged (will be marked red) throughout the exam.
- Once you have reviewed all questions you can submit your exam by clicking the green Finish button at the bottom right side of your screen.
- After you click Finish a screen will pop up alerting you to how many questions you have answered out of the total number available. It will also tell you how many questions were flagged, the number of questions unanswered, and the number of questions unsaved. Based on availability, you have the option of hitting the red Go Back button to return to the exam and finish any unanswered questions or reviewed flagged questions before submitting the exam.
- If you do not need to review any further and are ready to submit the exam click the green Submit Exam button.
- After submitting, you may see reporting data the professor has made accessible upon completion of the exam. Reporting criteria that may be displayed here includes your overall score, question titles and categories, questions, answers, point values, and feedback.
- Once the exam is submitted you will return to the exam’s home page within the Exams tool.
- If you close an exam without properly submitting it you can return to the exam through the Exams tool and complete the submission. Timed exams will not retain the amount of time that was left at the point when the attempt was interrupted. The timer starts when you enter the exam. If you leave the exam the timer keeps running.
The exam may also have been set up to only be available during a certain period of time. If this is the case and the exam is closed before you are able to log in and submit your exam you will need to contact your course administrator.